Monday, April 11, 2016

Blog Six: Critique on "Branches of Government" Blog

       This is an issue that I wasn't really educated in so it was interesting to read your blog and then do research of my own. The only criticism I really have for the structure of your article is that this would have been much more impressive if you had links to other news outlets and articles of the conditions of these camps from people who were there. Honestly when I first read your blog I thought that you were forcing your opinion on a subject that you had no real facts in, because in 2016 it is ridiculous that these camps would be worse than our prisons. So I did my research, and you were right. The conditions of these places and the people that are forced to be there are inhumane and terrible. Especially when you have children involved with the system.
       Which is exactly what CNN's article exposes, as well as presidential candidate Donald Trump's views on the immigration issue are. There is also an article written by a lawyer who shows first accounts on the problems these families face in these camps. It is very interesting stuff that our media of course keeps from the main points of view. What is worse to me is that this is a multi-billion dollar industry, yet these families are in the worst conditions. It is also sad that this topic has become almost a hate campaign against those who are Hispanic. As if there aren't European or Canadian illegal immigrants here. Now although I understand how ironic it is that our country was founded and built on immigration and those fleeing their countries for a better way of life, for us to then make a huge deal on immigration. I still have an issue with articles, post, and opinions of others on this topic.
       For one, to say this is like the Holocaust is a huge stretch. I don't think anything like the Holocaust or the enslavement of Blacks in this country can ever be compared to what is happening today. That statement alone discredits the real horrors that those involved had to go through. My other problem is that I see no one coming up with a real solution. Immigration laws are necessary to keep from overpopulation. We may not be the best country in the world but we are a hell of a lot better than many others, and it is impossible for us to take in any one who is looking for a better life. So although these camps need to be redesigned and fixed, what is the next step? We cant do away with these camps or this system. I thinks the camps need to have better health care, better legal advice and understanding to the detainees, and a better environment that keeps these people living with dignity during this hard time. But we cant get rid of the camps and immigration laws. What we need to do in my opinion is improve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment